Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Swiss chocolate and cocoa nibs and a web site that will transport you to a romantic European village

Today I was in the mood for something dark, bitter and crunchy at the same time.  So I searched through my chocolate cupboard and found a bar that I have not tasted before: Swiss Prestige Supreme Noir Cocoa Nibs.  The name is a bit funny, since half is in French and half in English, but it basically is a 100 gram bittersweet chocolate bar with crunchy cocoa nibs mixed in. 

Upon tasting it, I immediately liked it. They have the crunch just right; the nibs are tiny and easy to chew.  I am not a fan of chocolate bars with cocoa nibs when the nibs are large and hard to chew (and dangerous for my delicate teeth). Also, when a chocolate bar has large chunks of cocoa nibs, the nibs become overpowering and make the overall flavour quite bitter, which is not the case with this Swiss Prestige chocolate bar.

The other thing that I like about this bar is the flavour.  It is sweet and chocolaty, with enough vanilla flavour to lessen its bitterness so it is not nearly as bitter as other 78% chocolate bars can be.  Also, the flavouring is natural, and there are no strange additives on the ingredients list. 

I would buy the Swiss Prestige Supreme Noir Cocoa Nibs chocolate bar again in future.  I guess I know why Wikipedia says that Frey, the manufacturer of this chocolate bar, is the leading  chocolate manufacturer on the Swiss market. Check out the company web site at
http://www.chocolatfrey.ch/ if for no other reason than to listen to some seriously relaxing music and to be transported to a romantic little European village (to find the English version, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the tiny E).

Here are the package details for this chocolate bar:

SWISS PRESTIGE SUPREME Noir Cocoa Nibs, 70% cacao, 100 g
CHOCOLAT FREY AG, Switzerland, A MIGROS company
http://www.chocolatfrey.ch/ 
Ingredients: chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, sugar, cocoa powder, cocoa nibs 9%, natural flavour.  May contain tree nuts, peanuts, milk and soy.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    Stumbled across your blog when I was wondering if I couldn't find chocolate bars without soy lecithin. (Thanks for the list). Then I had to search to see if you had any reviews of Swiss chocolates bars. I hope that some day you get the chance to sample some Cailler chocolate as well as Camille Bloch. I think both brands run circles around Frey and Lindt. Frey is less expensive and sold in a popular grocery store, but not nearly as good as Cailler, especially when it comes to milk chocolate.

    Thanks for a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete