Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sipping Sunday, Saxon Style - a sweet dark hot chocolate treat

Today I am sipping a Saxon dark hot chocolate.  When melted with milk, it makes a rich, smooth hot chocolate.  If you taste the chocolate pieces before melting them, the dark chocolate is just a little too sweet for eating. It does, however, turn into a nice hot chocolate drink.

In looking at the ingredient list (see below for the list of ingredients), I think to myself: what the heck is anhydrous dextrose? Unfortunately, I cannot answer this question, because the Internet searches I've done have not made it very clear. From what I can tell though, anhydrous dextrose may be a chemical compound and some form of sugar.

Ignoring the strange ingredient in this drinking chocolate, I turned my cup of Saxon hot chocolate into a luxurious treat. I almost always top my hot chocolate with real whipped cream.  I usually eat through the whip cream faster than it can melt into the hot  chocolate, but when some of it does melt, it adds a richness to the hot chocolate that makes it undeniably good.  And do you know how else I like to add decadence to my hot chocolate?  I shave milk or dark chocolate over the whip cream.  What I like about Saxon's hot chocolate is that it is made from real chocolate (the tiniest chocolate chips that I've ever seen, in fact) and so it is easy to just sprinkle a tablespoon on top.  So getting out my peeler or grater is not necessary.  In my opinion, it`s the best way to enjoy hot chocolate, because it becomes a dessert, rather than just a beverage.

Other great ways to add flavour and decadence to your hot chocolate: use shavings from a leftover chocolate bar!  If you have some chocolate left from a chocolate tasting, then use that to shave over your hot chocolate. If it is a flavoured bar, it will add a new flavour element and texture to your hot drink.  For instance, I have used up the remaining Valor banana-flavoured 70% chocolate bar that I tasted a while back to shave over the whip cream on my hot chocolate in the days after I tasted that bar.  It added a hint of yummy banana flavour!
Here are the full details on the Saxon hot chocolate that I tasted today:

Saxon Chocolates Hot Chocolate, Dark, 340 g (12 oz)
Made exclusively for  Indigo Books & Music Inc.
http://www.saxonchocolates.com/
Ingredients: dark chocolate (sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, anhydrous dextrose, soya lecithin (an emulsifier). May contain tree nuts, peanuts, milk products and gluten proteins.
Made in Canada from imported ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment