Thursday, September 4, 2014

Costco's Tuxedo Cake: Chocolate Mousse Heaven

This combination of chocolate mousse, thick cream, and chocolate fudgy brownie pieces sandwiched between two layers of fluffy moist chocolate cake surprised me with its deliciousness.  Why?  Not because of the combination of flavours - certainly that was well thought through - but because of the type of store that I purchased it from. 

Don`t get me wrong, I love Costco.  It is a store that often carries organic and natural food products at great discount prices (e.g. my great experience with Barkthins chocolate).  But if you have read any of my other articles in the past, you will know that I prefer fine chocolate.  And I also prefer my dark chocolate not to be too sweet (I hate chocolate that is labelled as 'dark' but is actually sickeningly sweet).  And what often happens, is that large grocery retailers sell cakes under their own label or other brands that are made with super sweet chocolate, or chocolate ganache that has had too much icing sugar and artificial vanilla added to it. But that was not the cake with this Kirkland brand cake at Costco. 

There was only the taste of chocolate - no heavy artificial vanilla flavour (although there is some artificial flavour included in the ingredients) - and with just the right level of sweetness. The dark and white chocolate mousses in the centre were rich and not too sweet, and the brownie pieces were not overwhelming and not overly 'chewy', so the experience was completely smooth and enjoyable.

I have looked at this cake on many occasions in the past, but have never made the purchase. I was worried that I would be disappointed, as I have been with many other chocolate cakes sold at retail chain stores in the past. But I am truly glad that I finally found an excuse to buy one.

The cake serves at least 12 people - a great addition to any dessert table at a party, or for a simple birthday celebration. I purchased mine at an Ontario Costco store.

21 comments:

  1. I agree. I just had it yesterday for the first time.....YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That description is an orgasm in my mouth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can it be frozen? I purchased one and have half left over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can freeze any cake. Just make sure it is sealed well. So cover the original plastic container in a bag and place in the freezer, or the leftover containers in a Ziplock container, but also put a bag around that so that no air can go in or out.

      Delete
  4. Tried this and it was amazing!! Served over 15 people with a decent slice. Very fresh. Not too sweet. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best way to freeze a cake is to place the whole or partial cake in the freezer unwrapped or uncovered. Let the cake freeze well...1-2 hours is usually enough. Then once it's thoroughly frozen, take it out and wrap it well. 2 or 3 layers of plastic wrap and then place in a plastic bag. This will prevent the icing from sticking to the wrapping materials.To defrost without damaging, remove cake from freezer and unwrap immediately. Let the cake defrost uncovered. This freezing and defrosting method will keep your cake intact and no one will ever know it was frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best way to freeze a cake is to place the whole or partial cake in the freezer unwrapped or uncovered. Let the cake freeze well...1-2 hours is usually enough. Then once it's thoroughly frozen, take it out and wrap it well. 2 or 3 layers of plastic wrap and then place in a plastic bag and return to freezer. This will prevent the icing from sticking to the wrapping materials.To defrost without damaging, remove cake from freezer and unwrap immediately. Let the cake defrost uncovered. This freezing and defrosting method will keep your cake intact and no one will ever know it was frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lisabeth & VickieR. Your instructions are exactly what I was looking for.
    I bought one of these tux cakes to cut for my sister's birthday (belated) but she's too sick to make the 1.5hr trip to my house and I was dreading ;-) having to eat it all by myself next week. If only calories didn't count!!!!!! especially @ 3 months postpartum and determined to lose 15 more lbs of baby weight. Aaaaggggh. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi this one is great and is really a good post. I think it will help me a lot in the related stuff and is very much useful for me. Very well written I appreciate & must say good job..
    baklava Glendale

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cake is delicious. I bought it for my family today. This cake of the best I've ever tasted.But a lot of calories and not good for every day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This cake is delicious. I bought it for my family today. This cake of the best I've ever tasted.But a lot of calories and not good for every day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anybody can tell me the weight of a slice of this cake ? 50 gr, 100 gr, ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A generous slice (think between 1" and 1.5" wide approx.) weighed about 400 grams when I was measuring them out the other day.

      Delete
  12. 2000 mg sodium.
    63g sugar
    Death by chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just at an entire one by myself. I couldn't help myself. I then had to have three cups of milk so I didn't choke. Worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I'm lactose intolerant. Still worth it.

      Delete
  14. A great tip for all tuxedo cake lovers. Freeze it and then eat it. The fudge firms up and the whole thing tastes incredible

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is DEFINATELY NOT the chocolate lover cake more like the SUGAR LOVER CAKE. It is like missing CHOCOLATE or CHOCOLATE was thief FROM the cake-- missing SO much chocolate that this cake looks chocolate, but tastes like sugar cake INSTEAD. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE LOOK OF THIS CAKE. ALERT-- MISSING CHOCOLATE FROM THE CAKE! The CHOCOLATE in taste description is SWEET, SWEET, SWEET, SWEET, BLAND in layers from top to bottom. any chocolate taste? not so much that it would make it chocolate in the taste cake. in fact this chocolate look alike cake is A SUGAR CAKE. sweet* in description however does not necessary mean that it is A GOOD TASTING cake. It is just horrible cake. I'm sure the person who came up with the recipe would be so sad that the CHOCOLATE TASTE is not there for tasters to enjoy. perhaps the actually CHOCOLATE in the cake was cut in half or more due to?

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you have to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Text Your Ex Back?

    ReplyDelete