Camino 3-ingredient organic white chocolate couverture (cocoa butter, whole milk powder and raw cane sugar), to make a healthier square. I did not have the usual brown Rice Krispies on hand, but I did have some delicious One Degree brand of Sprouted Brown Rice Cacao Crisps* (basically Brown Rice Krispies rolled in a cocoa powder and coconut sugar glaze). So I tossed those in and topped the whole thing with unsweetened coconut, making an absolutely gluten-free dessert.
The squares still tasted quite sweet, despite the white chocolate being not-so-sweet and diluted with coconut oil and cereal. They also melted deliciously in the mouth, making them a hit with the party-goers, young and old.
So here is the recipe:
White Chocolate Coconut Crunch Meltaway Squares:
Time: 15 minutes + 10 minutes in fridge prior to cutting the squares.
-450g (16 oz) organic white chocolate (Camino couverture, or nearly five 100g white chocolate bars under any brand of your choice)
-135g (4 oz) organic coconut oil
-250 ml (1 cup) One Degree sprouted brown rice (or just regular Rice Krispies or rice cereal)
-1/8 tsp ground vanilla bean or scrapings of 1 vanilla bean (do not use liquid extract, if no vanilla bean, leave it out of the recipe or buy white chocolate with vanilla already in it)
-1/4 cup shredded or flakes unsweetened coconut
Please note: Prepare your 8" square pan by lining it with a piece of plastic wrap, and measure out your ingredients in advance. You will need to quickly add these ingredients before your square sets, which will happen rapidly at the end, so you can't be measuring out the rice cereal at that time.
1. Melt your coconut oil in a small bowl the microwave for about 50 seconds and set aside.
2. Melt your white chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave for 2 minutes and 10 seconds on half power (to about 110º F), stir and then continue stirring while quickly reducing the temperature to 78º F (or cool to touch but still liquid) by placing your bowl over an ice bath. Be careful not to get any water drops into the chocolate, not even one!
3. Add the coconut oil & vanilla bean to the chocolate and stir until the mixture begins to thicken or reaches close to room temperature.
4. Quickly add the rice cereal and stir. Immediately pour into your prepared pan and spread around until flat.
5. Sprinkle the coconut on top.
6. Refrigerate for 10 minutes and then remove from the fridge. Cut into squares.
These will keep in a sealed container for up to 6 months! You can freeze if you like, but there is no need.
- Add a few drops of peppermint oil (not liquid extract, just the oil) for a minty square - delicious!
- Double the amount of rice cereal for a crunchier version of the square, more reminiscent of Rice Krispie Squares.
- Add 100 grams of peanut butter to your coconut oil before adding it to the chocolate mixture for a delicious peanut butter & chocolate treat!
*I am not being sponsored or enticed in any way by this company, but I thought you should know that I purchased the One Degree cereal at Costco in Canada. The company website is: www.OneDegreeOrganics.com.