Friday, November 12, 2010

Rogers` Chocolates - too sweet or too good?

It is very rare that I buy chocolate bars made by Rogers' Chocolates, a chocolate manufacturer from British Columbia.  My perception to this point has been that they produce costly, yet cheap quality chocolate.  Or rather, overly sweet and processed chocolate that costs a lot.  However, I am learning that my perception is flawed. On a recent trip, I found a Rogers' bar at a boutique store that is certified Organic and natural, right down to the organic soy lecithin. It's called the 'Chai Tea High Tea Chocolate Bar' and it is made with organic dark chocolate and "silk road" organic tea.  The chai tea flavour is very strong.  The 70% chocolate isn't overly bitter, so it's sweetness offsets the bitterness of the tea.  Together they seem to be the perfect combination.  I don't like to drink chai tea, but now I like to eat it!  Strange, huh?  I have a friend who hates to drink coffee but loves coffee-flavoured desserts.  I guess everybody has their own little quirks.

The only down side of this bar is the cost; 50 grams cost me $4.29.


I also have a Rogers Chocolates` 'Dark Chocolate Truffle In Dark Chocolate' bar to taste today.  It is 75 grams (2.6 oz) and has 54% cocoa solids.  I normally do not buy off-the-shelf `truffe bars` because they usually have a lot of additives and terrible ingredients in them, like hydrogenated oils, but the ingredients in this bar included real cream and overall didn`t look too bad.

Upon tasting the bar (tasting - ha! - I`m already three-quarters of the way through!), I realize why I had the perception that Rogers`makes overly sweet dark chocolate.  Sure, they have used 70% dark chocolate to make the truffle centre, but the
chocolate shell is so super-sweet that it hardly seems like `dark` chocolate. I`ve tasted other 54% dark chocolate before that does not taste as sweet as this.  Another downside of this bar is the ratio between the chocolate shell and the truffle centre.  The shell is just too thick.  The focal point of any `truffle` bar should be the truffle.  Unfortunately in this bar, there is less truffle than chocolate shell.

But all that said, I have eaten a whole lot of the Rogers` truffle bar and had to stop myself from finishing it, there must be something good about it!

Well, I`m done my 'official' tastings for the day, although that doesn`t mean I`m finished eating chocolate today.  I hope it`s the same for you!

Here are the stats on the two bars I tasted today:

Chai Tea High Tea Chocolate Bar by Rogers` Chocolates, 75 g (2.6 oz)
Rogers' Chocolates LTD. Victoria, BC Canada
http://www.rogerschocolates.com/
Ingredients: 70% Dark Chocolate (organic chocolate liquor, organic evaporated cane juice, organic cocoa butter, organic soy lecithin), organic chai tea essence (black tea, cardamom, ginger root, clove spices & essence).

Dark Chocolate TRUFFLE in Dark Chocolate, 54% cocoa, 75 g (2.6 oz)
Rogers` Chocolates LTD. Victoria, BC Canada
http://www.rogerschocolates.com/
Ingredients: Dark Chocolate - 54% (sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, soya lecithin, vanilla), dark chocolate - 72% (chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, cocoa powder, sugar, soya lecithin, vanilla), whipping cream, invert syrup, glucose-fructose, vanilla, invertase.  May contain traces of nuts, peanuts or milk.

2 comments:

  1. Very Nice Post. I am very happy to see this post. Such a wonderful information to share with us. I would like to share with my friends. For more information visit here Buy Couverture Chocolate India


    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete